Tuesday, 23 December 2008

And it's goodnight from him...

...as the Two Ronnies used to say. (Try this for a nice Christmas Sketchbook, made early in the year that Ronnie Barker died.)

I've tidied the office, cleared my desk, ticked things off lists, and eaten my lunch. That leaves pretty much nothing to do, so I may slope off early once I've set my out-of-office email and put an update on the voice messages.

Tomorrow will be an odd jobs and packing day, ready for a trip to Wanaka on Christmas Day. we are going, with Alice, to house-sit for Kristine Logan and Eddie Jones at their 3/4 finished house in Wanaka. We'll feed chooks and collect eggs, feed cats and fish, and catch up with old friends. I'll have my real 60th birthday there on Friday, hopefully do some sailing, definitely some mountain biking, and lie around thinking what to do next. 

We return to Christchurch on the 3rd or 4th of January to do more lying about, some house maintenance, and prepare for the Big Party on the 17th. We have 50+ people coming, from Invercargill to Fern Flat, and dating from several lifetimes; Invercargill & Dunedin in our youth, Wanaka from the 70s to the 90s, and Christchurch for the last 13 years. We are semi organised, provided I talk to Tom the Butcher today or tomorrow, and I have yet to do final ordering of drinks. It will fall into place just before we fall over from the drink and excitement, I'm sure.

Next year will be a big one, as we roll out our Moodle system and prepare to shut down the Blackboard one. I hope the academics don't follow the classic "wait till the last moment then panic" method that so often happens with changes like this, but I don't have any evidence that this time will be any different, so far. Never mind, that's in the future, not worth wasting brain space on at the moment.

Now, when can I decently get on my bike, without looking like a slacker? I think about 2.30 should do it...

No comments: