Saturday, 26 December 2009

Birthdays of note

The usual excitement for my birthday; I'm up and about, while Heather and Elaine lie in bed reading. We had a good Christmas Day with the Crowther family; Heather's sister Pam's son Myles & wife Nicky hosted about 20 or so for dinner, then games on the lawn while adults snoozed in deck chairs.

Other birthdays today, beside me and Ruby Crowther (Myles & Nicky's 3rd daughter), are Thomas (Elegy) Gray, Charles Babbage, Mao Zedong, and Henry Miller. And the Internet turned 40 earlier this month.

Today is also Saint Stephen's Day; he was Christianity's first martyr. "Stephen was tried by the Sanhedrin (high priests) for blasphemy against Moses and God (Acts 6:11) and speaking against the Temple and the Law (Acts 6:13-14) (see also Antinomianism). He was stoned to death (c. A.D. 34–35) by an infuriated mob encouraged by Saul of Tarsus, the future Saint Paul." (Wikipedia entry.)

I don't think I'll attempt a re-enactment of being stoned to death; a barbecue with some friends is more my style. I might haul out my Grateful Dead collection, though...


This clip is from the truly horrible "Playboy After Dark" from 1969, with cool urban sophisticates and their beehived girlfriends taking a glimpse of these "hippies" that the news was always talking about. Something of a culture clash!

It was an interesting sky at 7am - sheets of mammatus clouds filled the sky. By 8am they had moved off, leaving high stratus.

No comments: