Sunday, 20 December 2009

EasyPeasy

Yesterday I did something I've been planning for a while. I installed a custom version of Ubuntu Linux, named EasyPeasy, on the little Asus Eee 901 netbook. It is working really well, but I need to organise the file system so that all my data is stored on the second solid state drive; at present the 8GB of disk space is visible, and I've mounted it in the file system, but my home directory (what Windows calls "My Documents") should now live on that drive. I'll get that sorted, but usermod is not being friendly at present.
The EasyPeasy user interface is a structured menu page.

The little machine is miles faster running Linux, and it's been given a new lease of life. Running Windows XP was too much overhead for the 1GB RAM and Intel Atom CPU, and the endless updates and system restores ate up all the available disk space; in recent months it was stuttering when playing audio, and that also meant it was running short of resources. Last night I peeled the "Made for Windows XP" sticker off the case and threw it away; a symbolic act, but quite satisfying.

Now I have a decision to make whenever I want to use a computer; Windows, Linux, or Mac? I don't really mind, they all get the job done - and these days I spend 90% of my time in a web browser, "in the cloud", so the OS is less important than having Firefox set up with my shared bookmarks and other goodies.

No comments: