Sunday, 24 January 2010

Up and about

At 9am I was on my bike, heading for Dyers Pass on the Port Hills, via Hackthorne Rd. It's a solid climb, but I managed it comfortably enough. Next time will be easier, and on a nice day I'd like to continue along the Summit Rd to Evans Pass, returning via Sumner.

Dyers Pass and the Sign Of The Kiwi tearooms. The road from Christchurch enters at the lower right corner, continuing over to Governors Bay in Lyttelton Harbour. The photo is taken from the Summit Road, which crosses at the pass.

I didn't climb the 320m at the same speed as the lycra brigade on their carbon fibre bikes, but I was about the same pace as some of the older mountain bikers. (Anyway, that's the speed I go, there's not much I can do about it.) The hills are very busy on a Sunday morning, with walkers, runners, cyclists of several flavours, and optimists who think it's a quick way to drive to Governors Bay.

Evans Pass, between Sumner and Lyttelton, viewed from the Summit Road (centre right, below the pines on the ridge).

No comments: