Thursday, 8 July 2010

Thin on top and developing leaks

Not me, my bike's rear tyre. It was worn through the rubber in several areas, exposing the coloured nylon and kevlar belts inside. Chain Reaction in Riccarton got me a new one, a Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700c*32; super puncture-resistant but a bit firm in the riding experience because of its stiffness. Still, given the amount of glass on Christchurch streets these days, puncture resistance is priority #1, and makes it worth the $69 price tag. I'll get 4 years (or 5000km, whichever comes first) out of it, if the last one was any guide.

The tyre was really difficult to fit. The layers of kevlar made it very stiff, and it took a lot of massaging to get one side engaged with the bead on the rim. Then I had to repeat the process on the second side. The last 15-20cm was a tight stretch, but it all popped into place at long last. I hope I don't have to take it off very often, at least until it beds in a bit. A nice touch with these tyres; they have a super-reflective stripe on the sidewall, which should make any motorist pay attention.

No comments: