- Tell Tiwai aluminium smelter that they have 5 years to close down and go away. May have to pay some compensation for the building, but it can be re-used.
- Start a 5 year project to double-track and electrify the South Island main trunk railway line, from Picton to Bluff. Including freight handling terminals on the way, and passenger services.
- Arrange a major engineering project for Invercargill & Bluff to absorb the Tiwai workforce. Ship building? Rolling stock design and construction?
- Beef up SIT and other regional polytechs to cope with workforce training.
- Phase in incentives for retail and transport sectors to move from road to rail.
- Follow with penalties for using road, till they get the message.
If you do that, they'll think you're a genius - or a dictator. And maybe the trains will run on time.