Wednesday, 12 October 2011

The first dozen are the hardest

I was swapping opinions about operating systems with a colleague the other day, and I flippantly said "They're all pretty similar, your first dozen OS's are the hardest." Then out of curiosity I started to make a list of OS's I've used since 1982, when our school got an Apple 2, through to an Android tablet in 2011.

A lot of these are upgrades, so they have a similar theme and the learning curve isn't steep (e.g. Windows 95 to Windows 98), but I was amazed to see that the list ran to 34 operating systems! All of these I have actually used for at least several days, e.g. UCSD p-system for a Pascal programming summer school, or VMS for my first internet account through Otago University and again when working for Compaq/HP. Some, like CP/M 2.2 or Windows NT, I used for several years.

I'm sure that there will be people in the IT business who can double this list, but I was amazed. It must mean that I'm old, I suppose. Anyway, here's the list.

Apple DOS 3.3
UCSD p-System (Apple //e & 8080)
Apple ProDos
CP/M 2.2
PC-DOS 2.0
MS-DOS 3.3
MS-DOS 4.0
MS-DOS 5.0
MS-DOS 6.0
MS-DOS 6.2
GeOS/GEM
Windows 2.11
Windows 3.0
Windows 3.1
Windows for Workgroups (3.11)
Windows CE 3.0
Windows NT 4.0
Windows 95
Windows 98
Windows 98SE
Windows Me
Windows 2000
Windows XP Professional
DEC/HP OpenVMS
MacOS 7
MacOS 9
MacOS X 10.2
MacOS X 10.4
MacOS X 10.5
Red Hat Linux 4.1
Red Hat Enterprise Linux
Ubuntu Linux 7
Ubuntu EasyPeasy Linux
Android 2.2
Oops, I forgot iOS! I had an iPad for a couple of months for testing. That's 35.

1 comment:

Nigel Atkinson said...

When I saw your tweet, was like "What? No way!" but I see your counting versions and distributions, so that makes sense. I'd have a similar list. One of my "favorites" was DEC Unix V4, but that's probably more from playing with nice Alpha gear away from the 'office' people. ;-P