Wednesday, 11 July 2012

What we've done this week

It's been a busy few days. First there was the trailer and the gravel. On Saturday I shovelled half of our surplus gravel (from the old back pathway) and took it to the tip. $17.50, done. On Sunday Schroeder came and helped me do the second lot, including quite a lot of sand. We dropped about 1/4 of the trailer load in his driveway, then I set off to the tip with load #2. I was on Cranford St at the Innes Rd lights when some pedestrians came over and banged on the car window, to tell me that I had a flat trailer tyre. Bugger.

I pulled up to a legal parking place, then inspected the left tyre - definitely flat. At that moment a chap walking by stopped and said "I live down the street. Help yourself to the jacks and blocks of wood in the garage." I detached the car from the trailer, then drove down to his house and collected the gear, and soon had the trailer chocked up with the wheel off. Then I extracted the jack so it couldn't be nicked, put it and the wheel into the boot, and drove off wondering where I could get a puncture fixed on a Sunday. The answer is - Nowhere.

On Monday morning I dropped the wheel at Tony's Tyres in Papanui and went to work. I called at 10am and they said it was done, so back I went; collected the tyre (free!), bolted it back on the trailer, returned the jack and blocks, then off to the Styx Mill tip. Twenty minutes later I'd ditched the gravel, followed by a trip back home to Waitikiri to drop the trailer, then return to UC just on 12. A tribute to work-life balance programmes.

Darren doing the "Shredder Spread", to air his vital parts
On Tuesday Darren Armstrong and I went skiing. I gave myself a small tear in a groin muscle (ow!) but had a good time. It may be a few days before I ride my bike, though.

Today was Heather's appointment at the cardiac outpatients clinic. They sedated her, then applied a defibrillator, and her heart smartly returned to a sensible rhythm. Until the next time. Anyway, she's feeling good but a bit washed out from the sedatives and the electric thump, so she's heading for an early night.

That's our week so far - trying to keep life to one drama per day.

No comments: